INHSU Africa 2020 was the first event of its kind to bring together regionally based advocates, policy champions, civil society leaders and the community of people who use drugs, to highlight best practices and contribute to enhancing drug user health and the elimination of HIV as well as hepatitis C.
At this historic meeting an African Declaration was made to eliminate hepatitis C and improve the health of people who use drugs.
The Africa Declaration calls on African political leaders and all global partners to:
- Scale up harm reduction services
- Make health services accessible for people who use drugs
- Support community empowerment and community-based programmes
- Improve access to affordable diagnostics and medicines
- Eliminate stigma, discrimination and violence
- Reform drug policies
- Enhance funding for harm reduction and hepatitis C elimination efforts.
Following the regional meeting, INHSU continues to partner with local policy champions working in the region to support their advocacy activities.